Andover Historic Preservation


362 SALEM ST362 salem st (click to enlarge)

362 SALEM ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Style: Federal

Other features: Corinthian pilasters on portico with triangular pediment; fine panelling; fireplaces, hand carved cornices.

historical narrative

Present owner: L. K. Wangerin (1992)

Original owner: Benjamin Jenkins

Subsequent uses: Inn and entertainment, 1850'; day camp 1970's

Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development

Historical significance: Located at four corners; junction of Salem Street and Jenkins Road.

Captain Benjamin, son of Colonel Benjamin, built this house for his son Benjamin, 1807. Known as a "Post-House" or place where passengers were entertained while stage coaches changed horses. The rear, upper-room was used for dancing. Spikes used to hang lanterns still remain.

House first to be insured in Andover-Policy #1, of Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Co., April 9, 1828. Registry plate for this over East door but now covered by porch construction.

Kitchen breakfast ell added 1849 - 1850. Present living room was original kitchen. Addison Flint of Soapstone Quarry Co. married Capt. Benjamin Jenkins' sister-in-law, Sally Berry, and lived in this ell.

In Jenkins family four generations - then sold by heirs of John B. Jenkins to Mrs. Roberts (1927) - sold to Janel G. Conway who occupied 1928 - 1939; Elizabeth G. Weston, owner in 1946, followed Mrs. Grace Markey and son, William who restored.

bibliography/references

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses of Andover", Mass. 1946

Andover Historical Society files

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Townsman's Andover", 1946, pg 42

See also: Barn Survey

see 1980 National Register Nomination for updated information

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 362 SALEM ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 362 salem st
Historic Name: Jenkins, Col. Benjamin House
Present Use: residence - summer day camp
Original Use: farm and residence
Date of Construction: ca. 1807 - 1810
Source: Bessie Goldsmith
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures large barn across road is original
Major Alterations: ell added (1849); porch, piazza added later; restored by Markeys (ca. 1950's); garage and brick driveway added.
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.01 acres; lot size: 4 acres??; approx. frontage: Jenkins - 385', Salem Street - 490'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.509
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo