Andover Historic Preservation


27 SCHOOL ST27 school st (click to enlarge)

27 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

historical narrative

Present owner Blomgren, Arthur C. and Lola. Original owner Warren Fales Draper (1818-1905). Also used for dormority for Abbot Academy 1919. Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education. Warren Fales Draper (1818-1905) was one of the chief benefactors of Abbot Academy. He withdrew from Andover Theological Seminary because of failing eyesight. In 1849, joined Allen, Merrill and Wardwell, local printers, and in 1854, became its sole proprietor. Also printed and partly edited local newspaper; Deacon and Treasurer of Seminary Church; Treasurer of Abbot Academy (financial records of academy kept here in his house). He gave Draper Hall to Abbot Academy. When completed, 1869 - local paper claimed : " It is worth miles of travel to see the exterior, to say nothing of its internal beauty." - copper bathtub; house boasted first bathroom in Andover (a dark closet on 1st floor with kerosene lamp). Mrs. Irene Draper, known as "Abbot's Fairy Godmother" used to watch campus activities from her window across the street. After her death in 1916, at age of 93, the house was opened as Abbot dormitory. Blomgrens purchased from Phillips Academy in 1975.
(Possibly also known as the Homestead House)

bibliography/references

Carpenter, Jane B. : Abbot and Miss Bailey Abbot in the Early Days, Boston: Todd, 1959
Paradise, Scott H. ; A History of Printing in Andover Mass. 1798-1931, Andover Press, 1931.
Andover Advertiser, Fuess, Claude: Andover Symbol of New England, 1959, p. 319,320.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 27 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 27 school st
Historic Name: W.F. Draper House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1867-69
Source: Carpenter L. Abbot & Miss Bailey
Style/Form: Second Empire
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: flush boarding, clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage
Major Alterations: slate shingles replaced on mansard-still fire house of this style. Cupola removed 1926
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.13 acres, 239' frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.519
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo