Andover Historic Preservation


31-33 SCHOOL ST31-33 school st (click to enlarge)

31-33 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

Greek Revival doorway, porch like several other houses of this period in town.

historical narrative

Present owner Phillips Academy - 7/2/73. Horace Wilson original owner. Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education. Horace Wilson, carpenter, built this house as well as #35. Resident 1899, H. Sanford Leach. Later, this was owned by Abbot Academy and used as servants quarters. 1997 Preservation Award - owners Linda and Richard Duarte. This district is internationally known for its educational institutions: Phillips and Abbot Academies and the Andover Theological Seminary. However these schools relied on homes like this to board their students. It was first occupied by Horace Wilson, a carpenter-builder, who had a barn and shop in the rear where 33 is. Built with spacious and sunny rooms, it was ideal for family and student life as Abbot Academy previously owned it for decades.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 31-33 SCHOOL ST
Place:
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 31-33 school st
Historic Name: Leach House
Present Use: Dormitory
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: mid 19th century, circa 1860
Source: style, njs
Style/Form: Italianate
Architect/Builder: Horace Wilson (builder)
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage, attached two story house for dorm.
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre, 20,050 sq. ft. 119' frontage.
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo