Andover Historic Preservation


38 SCHOOL ST38 school st (click to enlarge)

38 SCHOOL ST

historical narrative

Original owner Abbot Academy. In her report to the Trustees of Abbot Academy, 1915, Headmistress Bertha Bailey suggested a dignified entrance to the school grounds. It seemed appropriate to build this in memory of Martha Stockbridge Merrill, head of the French Department and a teacher at Abbot for nearly 30 years, 1878-1907. Miss Katherine Kelsey was a prime mover in the project. Requests were made to alumnae for funds and then, the project was stopped due to lack of materials and labor during World War I. The famous firm of McKim, Meade and White of New York drew the plan. The architect first in charge was William C. Richardson, who thirty years before did Abbot 's Draper Hall. He was ill during the progress of the Merrill Memorial Gateway, but insisted on directing the building from his sickbed. The dignified gate has a central entrance for cars with two smaller ones for pedestrians. The masonry of four tall pillars are of Harvard brick, trimmed with Bedford limestone. The iron grillwork with the arch above surmounted with a lantern was by Krasser Iron Works.

bibliography/references

Carpenter, Jane P. : Abbot and Miss Bailey and Abbot in the Early Days, Abbot Academy, Boston: Thos. Todd, 1959
Abbot Academy, Andover Mass, 1829-1929: One Hundred Years. Andover Press, 1929

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 38 SCHOOL ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 38 school st
Historic Name: Merrill Memorial Gateway
Present Use: entrance to Abbot Academy Campus
Original Use: gateway to girls school
Date of Construction: completed 1921, dedicated June 1921
Source: Abbot history
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: McKim, Mead and White
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: brick and wrought iron
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition: excellent, "dignified entrance"
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo