Andover Historic Preservation

34 SCHOOL ST34 school st (click to enlarge)


architectural description


historical narrative

Present owner - Elowe, Edmond and Carol 6/75. 1992 John and Mary Myers. Elegant house - 3 stories, porch appears to..?, cross-axial form; columns, long windows. Original owner - Ballard for his daughter. 1969 added classroom - Phillips Academy dorm. Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education. Mrs. Herman Chandler (known as Aunt Phebe) resident. Later owned by Joseph Morrill, a baker from Lawrence. Housed Phillips students. At Morrill's death, bought by Abbot Academy and "greatly remodelled". Rented by Judge Jeremiah J. Mahoney. 1940's occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Irving Southworth. Mary E. Merrill, Abbot teacher for whom Merrill Memorial Gateway named, occupied. Abbot Academy owned 1914. Phillips Academy owned from 1973.


Andover Historical Society files
Abbot Academy Histories.
1992 Andover Preservation Award.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 34 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 34 school st
Historic Name: Chandler, Herman Cottage - Phillips Academy
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1852-1856
Source: maps and deeds, style, njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: 1920's altered
Acreage: less than one acre, 23,780 sq. ft. , 198' frontage
MHC inventory number: ANV.521
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo