Andover Historic Preservation


49 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

cupola with glass windows

historical narrative

Present owner Roman Catholic Archbishop 9/17/56, Original owner Jerome Cross, Sr. Other uses - parochial school - 1914. Themes - Architectural, Community Development, Education and Industry. 1892, John and Esther Byers tore down old South Parish Manse and created 36 Central Street. Later they sold to Judge Cann, who sold to Jerome Cross, Sr. of Cross Coal Company. He built this carriage house to go with 36 Central Street property, after 1900. In 1914, Rev. Frederick S. Riordan, C.S.A. of St. Augustine's Church purchased and established the Sisters of Notre Dame here. Here they ran a parochial school until St. Augustine's was built at corner of Central and Chestnut, former site of H.H. Tyer estate. In 1951, remodeled under direction of Saint Augustine's rector, Rev. P.J. Campbell. It is still used as a convent (1977).
(Later used as a religious education center. Stopped being used as a religious education center for St. Augustines in 2006)

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files.
Fuess, Claude; Andover: Symbol of New England, 1959, p. 337.
Saint Augustine's Parish, Andover, Mass. 1866-1966-100th anniversary (centennial of church as independent parish)
One Hundredth Anniversary, Saint Augustine's Parish, 1852-1952, Lawrence 1952 (centennial of organization as mission of St. Mary's, Lawrence. )

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 49 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 49 school st
Historic Name: Sisters of Notre Dame Convent
Present Use: convent
Original Use: carriage house
Date of Construction: early 20th century
Source: style, njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: remodeled in 1951
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre, 24,600 sq. ft., 115' frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.524
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo