Andover Historic Preservation


53 SCHOOL ST53 school st (click to enlarge)

53 SCHOOL ST

historical narrative

Original owner Thomas and Dorothy Emmons. Present Owner Linda Ryan. In 1941 Mr. and Mrs. Emmons hired an interior decorator from Lynn to recommend wall coverings and commissioned a Lynn artist - Pearson to prepare six murals on canvas at his studio to be hung in the Emmons' dining room. Themes are 1. Abbot Tavern (now 70 Elm St.) with George Washington in front being greeted by the townspeople. 2. a log cabin depicting the early beginnings. 3. Indian scene possibly Hannah Dunstan in a Haverhill episode. 4. battle at Lake Champlain. 5. Bunker Hill and 6. Ticonderoga. The Emmons sold to Ann Stevens and her husband Edward about 1963. The murals were covered during the Stevens ownership.
Note: Andover Townsman, February 10, 1983 is obiturary of Thomas Emmons. Thomas Emmons of 32 West Bradstreet, North Andover, the former president and owner of Emmons Loom Harness Co. of Lawrence, a retired New England representative of Philadelphia Steel and Heddle Co. and a former Andover resident, died Feb. 4 at Lawrence General Hospital after a long illness. He was 79. He was a member and past deacon of South Congregational Church in Andover for more than 40 years, as well as president of the Andover Historical Society and past president of the Church Basketball League of Andover. (see article for full story).

bibliography/references

additional sources: interview Mrs. Emmons, review building records and assessor's lists. Research Andover Historical Society and South Church files. Thomas Emmons was president of the society 1972-73.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 53 SCHOOL ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 53 school st
Historic Name:
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1941
Source: original owner
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: Arthur Steinert - contractor/builder
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: wood clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Barbara Thibault
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 10-5-88

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo