Andover Historic Preservation


100 SCHOOL ST100 school st (click to enlarge)

100 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

historical narrative

Present owner Al's Auto Supply Co. Inc. Original owner Boston and Maine Railroad. Themes - Architectural, Commerce and Community Development. This was Andover's third railroad station. First was on Essex Street, where Theatre Bldg. is and second on this site after tracks were relaid. When Andover and Wilmington railroad taken over by Boston and Maine for more direct connection to Boston from Lowell and the new city of Lawrence. This 1906 Richardsonian style terminal replaced the one erected about 1848 (the relocated line first being opened to the public, July 3, 1848). Previously, there was a large wooden arch where "iron horses were taken out of weather for convenience of passengers boarding". In 1959 this building was sold to Guy B. Howe, Jr. 1980's restaurant, frameshop, auto parts. 1990's coffee shop and restaurant, 1994 -- vacant, 1997 Preservation Award - owner Richard Marino, Corporate Access. Style: Shingle/Romanesque Style 1906, restored 1995. 2006 - photographer and ice cream shop.

bibliography/references

Haer Inventory PH0400823. Industrial classification 5472. USGS Quad Map & UTM Grid Ref. Lawrence 19.324120. 472470. City Atlas of Lawrence and Andover, 1896, 1906, 1926.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 100 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 100 school st
Historic Name: Third Railroad Station
Present Use: commercial
Original Use: railroad station
Date of Construction: 1906
Source: style, njs
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: brick and stone
Roof: rounded hip roof
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures long shed tiles intact, very wide eaves
Major Alterations: This station replaced an earlier wood structure around 1910. It is single story brick building with granite coursing and a rounded hip roof. The station is 50 x 20', with a passenger arcade that extends for fifty feet, parallel to the tracks. The roof of the arcade is supported by wooden pillars and brackets.
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.527
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo