Summer Reading Challenges for All Ages
July 1 to September 1
Help us reach our community goal of 300,000 minutes of reading this summer!
This year, due to COVID-19 and our continuing commitment to social distancing, our Summer Reading Challenges for all ages will be entirely online. Sign up here. We know you enjoy our in-person summer reading programs and activities, and we're disappointed we won't be able to see you all. However, thanks to the generosity of the Friends of Memorial Hall Library, we are able to safely present our 2020 Summer Reading Challenges through a mobile app and website called Beanstack!
Beanstack is a free mobile app you can install on a smartphone or tablet or access through your browser on a computer. It allows you to participate in reading challenges through Memorial Hall Library. Like every year, we have programs set up for children, teens, and adults, and those programs are being run through Beanstack this year. When you follow the links to Beanstack, you'll first create an account (which can be used for future challenges) and then you'll see what Reading Challenges you can sign up for at this time. If you get lost or need help, please feel free to contact us.
We've made some videos on how to use Beanstack:
Finally, be sure to watch the video created by MHL and Andover Public School librarians. We have such a great time making this every year and even COVID-19 couldn't prevent us from making a socially distant recording this year!
Birth to grade 5
- Our goal is for children to read 5 hours this summer.
- Earn virtual badges for reading, and when you reach the goal your name will automatically be entered in a prize drawing at the end of the summer.
- Our goal is for teens to read 10 hours this summer.
- Earn virtual badges and tickets for reading and writing reviews.
- Enter your tickets for our gift card drawing at the end of the summer!
- Our adult reading goal is 20 hours this summer.
- Earn virtual badges for reading and writing reviews.
- Complete at least 20 hours of reading to be eligible for a prize in the final drawing.
Summer Reading Lists for Schools
Andover Public School students in grades 6 through 12 are to read one book from their grade list. The lists are expanded this year in order to allow more opportunities for students to access books at this time. The main links in these lists go to our physical catalog where patrons can then request items via our Curbside Pickup Form. Additionally, most books are available to check out or place on hold in our ebook services Overdrive and Hoopla. These booklists indicate which books have online access.
- Kindergarten to 5th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 6th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 7th Grade Andover Public Schools
- 8th Grade Andover Public Schools
- High School Andover Public Schools
- 9th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
- 10th-12th Grade Greater Lawrence Technical School
Thank you to our Summer Reading Sponsors
"Imagine your Story" is sponsored by Memorial Hall Library, the Friends of Memorial Hall Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.